Regretfully Indifferent

Fight the Power. Stay Informed.

Monday, July 28, 2003

 
As I swam toward the crude stone stairway formed partly by time, partly by the feet of countless, faceless others...I wondered whether this was the coolest thing I had ever done, or the most absolutely retarded...Ignoring this thought, I continued to the top of the 30-ft. rock face onto a path toward an overhanging ledge. Standing for a moment, I gazed out at the sparkling reflection of the sun over the deep water below. It was comfortable here...Beautiful, quiet, and safe. I could have sat down and absorbed that moment forever. I set aside purpose, hope and ambition, and thanked God for that spot.
Taking a seat on a piece of the cliff protruding from the ground below me, I Subconsciously picked up a small rock and threw it off the edge. The faint and distant splash of the rock rang softly in my ears...destroying the near-hypnotic hold this beautiful scenery had on my mind.
Ignoring the peace and safety, I regained that indescribable feeling of excitement that drove me until now. Standing to my feet, I moved toward the edge. I was slightly dizzied by the sudden rush of emotion. As my first foot moved off the ledge, I experienced every conceivable feeling at once. This sensation brought me into a moment of serene angst that seemed to last forever. Finally I kicked out with my second foot and, for a moment, nothing existed. I was frozen in isolation from the world around me and I felt a sense of absolute silence.
I opened my eyes and watched myself slowly fall towards the water. There was a chill of adrenaline pushing itself up my spine. My every nerve tingled and my senses shut down. All I could hear was the wind blowing past my face. Then, as quickly as it began, I plunged through the surface of the water and again was suspended in time. I couldn't help but stay there for a while and just let myself drift and soak up as much as absolutely possible before my breath forced me to the top.
As I made my way to the water's surface the only intelligible thought running through my head was, "Wow." Then came the realization that I really was about to loose that last bit of air in my lungs. In a panic, I started frantically waving my arms and legs in any fashion that could lead me to the air above me. Finally, I could see the light shining through the near opaque water. I then held my hand above my head as I swam toward the water's surface. From a fist I raised my index and pinky fingers, and as I surfaced I screamed as loud as my voice would allow...

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Archives

February 2003   March 2003   April 2003   May 2003   June 2003   July 2003   August 2003   September 2003   October 2003   November 2003   December 2003   January 2004   February 2004   March 2004   April 2004   May 2004   June 2004   July 2004   August 2004   September 2004   October 2004   November 2004  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?